There’s a commercial on TV at the moment that talks about the fact that we tend to celebrate birthdays with cake. In fact, for many people, celebration is all about food and alcohol and ‘bad’ food and drinking too much – all of which can mount up and hit the hip pocket rather hard.
Now if you’ve been reading my posts for a while, you’ll know that one of the things I talk about often is the fact that you need to reward yourself along the way as you work towards a goal – especially if it’s a big goal. Why wait until the very end for a celebration when a little encouragement along the way can help keep you on track? The challenge however is when your goal is to lose weight or create better health. What do you do when you want to reward yourself and food is out of the question? Sure you can go on a spending spree or book a weekend away, but what if your goal is to save up for something special? How can you celebrate without food and without a major hit to your hip pocket? How can you celebrate without a case of the guilts the day after your celebrations?
So here are 20 ideas to get you started:
- Have a nap in the middle of the day
- Have a sleep in – don’t set your alarm
- Give yourself permission to just sit for a few hours and read a book (minus the guilt)
- Have a Bubble bath (or magnesium or Epsom salts) – make sure you get out the candles and oil burner for a real sensory experience
- Go for a leisurely walk in nature – without your phone, computer or a time limit
- Visit your favorite café for a leisurely coffee or tea
- DIY home spa treatment – Give yourself a manicure or pedicure
- Take a day off for no reason at all – and don’t fill it up running errands
- Have a movie marathon – whether it’s Stan, Netflix or visiting the local DVD store, indulge in an afternoon or evening of movies or your favorite TV show
- Listen to your favorite music – loud if you can and dance around the room if the mood strikes
- Visit or volunteer at a Pet Shelter for lots of snuggles and cuddles. Or visit or volunteer at a an organization that has meaning for you.
- Go for a drive to your favorite beach or calming place
- Learn something new on YouTube
- Go Window Shopping
- Visit a museum or art gallery – often they are free
- Sit and People Watch
- Spend hours in your favorite book store
- Make your own ribbon or trophy
- Buy yourself some flowers – many florists discount their flowers once they start to bloom
- Plan a holiday – online or visit a travel agent. There’s nothing like having a plan to work towards.
So next time you feel the urge to grab a block of chocolate or cake for that interim goal celebration, why not get creative and make it a celebration devoid of food and a hit to the hip pocket and avoid a case of the guilts too!